Are you all feeling like I am right now? Like you've entered that time of the year where days/weeks/months just seem to fly by and all of a sudden it's Christmas and you wonder where the last three months went? It always hits me at the same time each year, starting with B's birthday in early October. From then on, it seems like it's a never ending stream of parties - birthday parties, class parties, team parties, Halloween parties, holiday parties - baking, shopping, cooking, decorating, more baking, more parties, more shopping, more baking, more decorating....well, you get the idea. By the time Christmas arrives, I'm exhausted and totally burnt out. And every year I vow that next year will be different. Next year, I won't be up until 1:00 am frosting cupcakes for the baseball team party; I won't volunteer to organize the class parties; I will scale back the Christmas cookies and only make 4 different kinds instead of 12; I will not spend 30 hours putting up Christmas lights. And every single year my mom guilt kicks in and I find myself in the exact same place. I feel so darn guilty about letting the kids down, or not doing for one what I did for the other, or sad about giving up a "tradition". The ironic thing is that all the while I am spending so much time doing all this stuff, I feel immensely guilty that I'm not spending enough quality time with those very kids that I'm supposedly doing it all for!! As my kids are hanging on me whining, wanting attention while I'm decorating my hundredth gingerbread man, I'm yelling at them to leave me alone because after all, "I'm doing this all for you!". Come on, who's with me on this? Don't tell me I'm the only one that feels this way??!! Someone so aptly pointed out to me the other day that we tend to do more and bigger when our kids are little when they are least likely to remember any of it! So true!
Okay, so that brings me to this week. We had C's last baseball game and team party early in the week. Unfortunately, C's season ended prematurely as his team lost two games in a row in the double elimination play offs. Despite his team's early demise, C had a great first season of AAA. C 'played up' to AAA, and as one of the youngest, he held his own amongst the older kids, and was even one of his team's pitchers. Here is a glimpse of C's pitching in action.
I love this next picture. Look how tiny C is compared to the runner ;-).
Later in the week, we had B's Kindergarten costume parade and Fall party. And guess who was in charge of the party? Sooooo, I wasted spent the entire afternoon last Sunday cutting, painting and punching holes in egg cartons in preparation for the egg carton spider craft. Here is B showing off the end product. Cute, right?
Here is B marching in the parade. He's the ninja. I begged him to wear a different costume so that I could at least see his face when he marched through, but obviously didn't win that battle.
That brings us to yesterday - B's last baseball game and team party. Guess who was up until midnight on Friday frosting Halloween cupcakes and making a fondant Yankees baseball? See what I mean? I obviously have a problem.
And here is a picture of L and her best friend the doggie thrown in for good measure ;-).
No comments:
Post a Comment